Thursday, 21 August 2014

I Did Odd Jobs To Survive - Opurum


According to Bruce Springsteen "Your success story is a bigger story than whatever you are trying to say on stage. Success makes life easier but does not make living easier". This is apt in the life of Vincent Opurum whose foray into acting was divinely orchestrated. In this chat with OLUSOLA OLUJIDE AYODELE, he talks about his life in Nollywood and other sundry issue.


Childhood and education
I had a mixed childhood. I was born with a silver spoon but along the line, it became tough. I had always desired to be a number citizen of the country or an ambassador but due to my father's financial constraints, I got into travel and tours business after my secondary school education. I wanted to start working with KLM, so I enrolled in Nigeria airways and got my diploma.

Journey into acting
I started acting 1999 in Kaduna. What moved me into acting was the religious riot in Kaduna in 1999, which obstructed my dreams to work with an airline, as well as get enrolled in other aviation institutions abroad. My acting dream berth when I visited a friend who was about to get married whose fiancée was a producer. She saw me as someone with good looks and character and thought I am fit for a particular role in a movie her fiancée was producing Pains of a Teenage Mother. This was the very first movie I acted and it was also the first successful movie in Kaduna state; it won a lot of awards and projected me to the world. I played the lead role and I became a star overnight in Kaduna.

Parents initial reaction to acting
Ahh, they never supported me, never. At a point my mum threatened that my father should will all his properties to my younger brother because I was perceived as a lost sheep. But at the end of the day, I reached a turning point, my father is late now and people celebrate my mother because of me to the point that my cousins who bear Opurum are celebrated too.

Challenges faced and how they were handled
On getting to Lagos, I had to seek ameans of survival at all cost. In fact I became a bar man, in a popular joint in Ogosco bus stop in Surulere. I also did dry cleaning to survive. I would go to shoot and afterwards return to my odd jobs. I squatted with people and even almost got kicked out. I cried so much and at a point I became Jim Iyke's Personal Assistant. When Jim started his foundation, I worked with him and made sure it was successful. I went through a lot of difficulties. I was in life's prison for long even my cousin pushed me out. My friend Kevin Nwankwo took me in but his brother made life miserable for me. My friend fed me but I needed more than that to survive.

Turning point
I am the kind of person, who likes to be the best in anything I do, so when I saw Ramsey Nouah, I just wanted to emulate him and be the best. Ramsey Nouah is the man! There was a particular film Ramsey and Genevieve came to shoot in Kaduna, Shameless Romance and I acted as the bar man in the film. It was my turning point. That was when I realised I was a local champion. I decide to go to Lagos and weathered the storm at all cost. I remember acting in Treasures where I played the lead role with Ekanem Caroline which further pushed me to limelight. Chico Ejiro who is my father in the industry was the producer. He gave me an edge in the film industry.

People loved the story and it reflected on me for interpreting my role well. Anytime I go for audition, and mention his name and the films I acted, I always get the roles. The movie that projected me to the world however was, the Holy Harlot. And till date, it's still selling. The marketers are still living off the film till today. FESTAC babe also laid more credence to the fact that a new star had emerged in Nollywood. From there I acted in Never Love a Prince; Royal Gamble; Living Next To You; Helpless Kingdom. These movies contributed to my success.

Difference between soaps and movies
There is this demarcation between soup practitioner and movie practitioner- they do not always go together. In soap, you remain there. One cannot move further in soaps unlike in movie where you can move. There are limits to one's progress in sops compared to movies.

Soaps and movies you acted
I have lost track of the number. They are too numerous to give the exact number.

Who Afrocandy is
 Afrocandy is an American based lady who was a Nollywood actress.

Dealings with her?
I heard about it too, but what happened between us was that we appeared in a movie together in Lagos. The producer later sold the rights to her and she edited and added all those things to it and then sold it in America. So many things came along with it because my face was one of the faces that projected the movie. Some of my fans even thought I was in America when I was not because she made them think I was coming over there.

She used my image to make her money and publicity and moved on with her life but I did not know until my manager got wind of it. He told me and then I made my investigations and fund out all that had transpired. I was not involved in any of the compromising scenes, it was one light guy named Man of God. I had to see the movie too; it wasn't me that was in any of those scenes.

Female fans
It's just been the grace of God. I do not know how I managed to succeed, so I will just attribute it to God's grace and wisdom.

A Brand ambassador?
Well, not yet but I am hoping to get one soon. I think I deserve it. God helping us, I think you will hear of one soon.

Foreign collaboration/ forays into Hollywood according to your publicist, Jamezany James
I have a vibrant manager who is based in the US; he has had some transactions with Spielberg and Will Smith. We intend doing something, I had travelled to the US to discuss with some men I do not really know but Spielberg was one of them. I guess the discussion was like an audition and they said they will get back to me.

You know the process is not like Nollywood where you are auditioned today and cast tomorrow. They take their time with their movies to cast, train if need be. So we are still working on it, right now I have not appeared in any foreign movie but I hope to soon. I am aiming at Hollywood or Bollywood movie.

Produced a movie?
No

Personal views on Nollywood
Already we are improving on our stories and pictures. Sometimes you won't blame them because what they go through when it comes to location is not at all easy. Like I said we are working on improving. We are also fighting piracy.

How movies are produced in Nollywood
One thing for sure is that the marketers are working towards producing good films. The industry is changing too. So talking of making movies in such a short time is not completely the fault of the executive producer because this, money you talk about is from the sweat of an individual who will singlehandedly produce the, movie maybe with N5million and of course he has to fend for himself and his family as well as do other things. It takes at least 3 months before a movie is completed, passed through the Censor Board and eventually released into the market.

So it is hard to have about N5 million locked up for about 3- 6 months, that's why we want the government to get involved in this as well. There is need a good and enabling structure in the industry that will involve the participation of the corporate world. We are gradually working towards building that structure. The government is trying too; some money has been allocated to the industry already, which is another reason why we are building the structure so that we can have things to use the money for. In a Hollywood movie, you will see a long list of financiers; a movie could cost over $300 million. If Nigerians are given the chance Hollywood has, we will go far.

Fighting piracy
Well, that depends on the Censors board because that is their work. They should protect the industry on that aspect.

Keeping up with fans' expectation
Well, that is my secret

Kind of relaxation
I don't smoke; I don't drink beer, just wines and spirits. I'm married so I have dropped all my womanizing acts.

Life outside acting
I'm a business man, I am into some other lines of business which I will like to keep private.

No comments: