Wednesday, 15 October 2014

Arms Deal: South Africa Is Returning The Seized $15m - Ambassador


There is finally light at the end of the tunnel as the South African authorities have decided to release the $15 million arms deal money seized from Nigeria twice.

This was made known yesterday when the South African High Commissioner to Nigeria, Myakayaka Manzini, who featured in a programme on African International Television, AIT, “Matters Arising”, said the process of refunding the money back to Nigeria was already on.


 “Both countries have decided on a political solution to the issue. Nigeria is a big ally and a brother,” he said.

According to Manzini, South Africa is not willing to destroy the relationship between both countries which can hurt her national interests and in that regards would do everything possible to maintain the status quo between both countries.


He added that South Africa had been selling arms to Nigeria and that his country was prepared to sell arms to Nigeria to fight Boko Haram.

The envoy, when asked when the money will be released fully, said it will be released soon but couldn't give the timeline.

South African authorities had seized $5.7 million arms money from Nigeria, just three weeks after another $9.3 million cash reportedly smuggled by two Nigerians and an Israeli for arms purchase from the country was confiscated, bringing the total amount seized to $15 million (about N2 billion).

The private jet conveying the $9.3 million stashed in three suitcases had landed at Lanseria International Airport, Johannesburg, on September 5. The South Africa Revenue Service, SARS, said customs officers became suspicious when the passengers’ luggage were unloaded and put through the scanners.

The National Prosecuting Authority, NPA, in South Africa said there was an invoice for helicopters and armaments intended to be used in Nigeria.

The second transaction was between Cerberus Risk Solutions, an arms broker in Cape Town, and Societe D’Equipments Internationaux, said to be a Nigerian company based in Abuja.

It was gathered that the deal, however, collapsed after Cerberus which had earlier received from Nigeria R60 million (N1.02 billion) in its account at Standard Bank, tried to repay the money as it could not resolve its registration formalities with the South African authorities.

Cerberus was previously registered as a broker with the National Conventional Arms Control Committee (NCACC), but the registration expired in May this year.

The marketing and contracting permits also expired at the same time. The company has since applied for re-registration, but the application lay in the NCACC’s mailbox for more than two months.

It was said that an alleged attempt by Cerberus to pay the money back to the Nigerian company, alerted bank officials who became suspicious.

The Nigerian government maintained her stands that both transactions were legitimate and there was nothing shady in the arms deal.

No comments: