Thursday, 9 October 2014

Solomon Lange: Refining Success Through Longevity



Blessed with a strong and resounding voice, Solomon Lange is passionate about music and spreading the work of God. Highly intelligent, and also a Peace ambassador, The Kaduna  born artiste recently released his 3rd studio album titled GRATEFUL.

I understand your third album would be coming out soon. Can you tell us more about it?
I don’t know if you know this, but my music is all about thanksgiving. Giving glory to God, appreciating him. This album is titled GRATEFUL It’s a 17 track album.

You are known for your soul lifting songs. Should fans expect more of this in the album? And why is this album different from your previous albums?
Yes, they can expect soul lifting songs. What is different is that, this album has a lot of dance songs in it.  This is not to say there are no worship songs on the album, there are worship has nothing to do with the Tempo. So, there a lot of slow songs on the album and there are also a lot of fast songs on the album. There is also a difference of style; I basically used almost all the known genre of music on this album. So expect to hear Reggae, Rock, Soft Rock, Jazz etc. there are also more English songs on this album. Everyone is going to enjoy listening to this album. There is something for everyone in it and it is better than my last 2 albums put together.


How did music start for you? Or has it always been something you wanted to do?
I’ve been singing as far back as I can remember. Probably since when I was 8 or 9 years old. Then of course, I joined the local church choir. When I was in Kaduna Polytechnic, I started music professionally when i joined a group called Kale Visions Ministry. While in secondary school, I had a group called the Joyful Singers. I was the chief songwriter. So you can see that I’ve always wanted to do music.

Would you say your journey as a musician has been fulfilling?
 Yes it has. It has also been very rewarding, adventurous and challenging. You know, when you start something, you have dreams of making it. But not everybody has been able to. As for me, God has so much for me and I know he’s just beginning. I’ll do music if I come to this world again.

Really? So if you are offered a lucrative and financially rewarding job where you are asked to stop doing music, are you telling me you would take it?
If it is a human being offering me this job, I will first pray about it. Because as much as I love to do music, as much as I am passionate about it, music is not my lord. Jesus is my lord so, if Jesus tells me to go do something else, I’ll go do it. I think life should be defined from purpose and fulfilment and I believe that if you pursue purpose, purpose is what am I here for not just what did God bring me here for, I believe that if you pursue that and you do it with the whole of your heart, you will be financially and any other wisely rewarded. I make my decisions based on the questions: is this what I should be doing? Is this what I’m wired for? Doing music is easy for me. I don’t consider it work. Let me say it’s like taking a stroll in the park.

For you, has it always been gospel music?
Let me tell you something, I’m even angry that Gospel music is called a style of music. Gospel music is Music. When a Muslim person is doing his/her own music, they don’t call ity Islamic music, when a Hindu person is doing the same thing; they do not call it Hindi music. Because I mention Jesus in my music, you discriminate against me and call it Gospel music. I mean, I do Reggae, RnB, Rock so why are you calling Gospel music a genre when I cover every genre of music already? So yes, if I was ever going to do music as a believer and a preacher of the gospel, my content would always be the gospel. Whatever I was always going to do.

The impact your music is having is felt the world over. What are your plans for the future?
I’ve got things I want to do. When you come for the concert happening on Sunday 5th October 2014 at Sheraton Hotel by 4pm, you will realise that there is something we call 1Voice. It’s an initiative that God gave us to bring together people to worship without boundaries and without denominations. You know there is a lot of denominational dogma nowadays and we realise that God has given us the tool to bring people together to worship in unity. Irrespective of their religious background’s, denominational beliefs or convictions. I’m also working on a TV show; I’m also working on a talent hunt for young people. That is in the pipeline. And I’m also working on a seminar series for young people. Our idea is to change the way people think. We want to redefine what success means. Success in Nigeria today has been redefined in terms of money. You often hear people say I don hammer.  But is that the definition of success? So what do you say success is? There are many musicians today who we can say are successful in music but are big failures in their family life. Would you call that success? I could use a lot of naked ladies in my video and make a lot of money, but does that mean I’m successful? Success should mean making your life better, and making the life of people around you better also move your nation and your generation forward the positive way. Until you are able to do that, you are not successful. Anybody can shoot an x rated video like Kim Kardashian and become popular. No talent, nothing! The only thing people know you for is nudity. Like I said earlier, we are trying to redefine success. We are not telling people not to make money, we are telling them to make an impact, move your generations forward and generations unborn will remember you for it. That is one of the things we are working on. Not just having a religious country called Nigeria where we have the fastest growing churches, the fastest growing musicians and we are still one of the most corrupt nations. I think it’s time we start to ask ourselves if the growth of our churches can affect our country and make it a better place. So you can see there are a lot of things we are working on.

Before you get on stage, do you have any ritual you must observe? Because I know musicians have various rituals they must observe before they go on stage.
You know, I read somewhere that the secret of a successful man is in his daily routine. For me, I go onstage unconsciously. I don’t wait till I go on stage to rehearse, I don’t wait till I’m going on stage to meditate. Honestly, there is nothing special I do before I go on stage. What I do is what I do every day.

Nowadays, your face is on almost every billboard announcing a gospel concert. How does this make you feel?
First of all, I’m grateful, I was just a son of a village tailor before I got born again and God brought me out and took me on a journey and gave me a platform. Two days ago, somebody called me, a pastor to be precise and he said he was watching me on TBN Africa, and I was shocked. I asked myself, what am I doing on TBN Africa before I remembered that in April of this year, I granted an interview at  their office in West Virginia, USA. And when I saw myself on TV, I was so glad because all I talked about was how God picked me up from nothing and made me something. And at some point, the lady that was interviewing me started shedding tears and she said God is really good because she could relate with my story because she knows how difficult life is in Nigeria. So, each time I see my face on the billboard and posters, I keep telling God, you are playing a game with me. On my new album, there is a song titled Just like a Dream. I still feel I’m dreaming. I just don’t want somebody to wake me up.

What would you say inspires you? I mean, how do you get the ideas for your songs?
Different artistes have different ways of getting their inspiration. Some say they get t from their dreams. As for me, I’m just a music machine. God is my inspiration. The word of God inspires me.

Earlier, you mentioned that a man could only be considered successful if he is successful in the home front. so, is Solomon Lange married?
No, I’m not married.

Why?
No reason in particular, when its time I’ll get married. There is nothing wrong in being single. You know what I’ve always desired? I’ve always desired to live a very fulfilling single life, and to also live a fulfilling married life. I’m happy God has helped me to reach where I am today. Now, I think I’ve lived a fulfilled single life enough, its time to experience the married life. So when I get married tomorrow, I’m never going to say I regretted my single life.

Growing up, I’m sure you must have had musicians that you looked up to both internationally and locally.  Which musicians were these?
Dr Panam Percy Paul, he inspired me a lot. He started gospel music in Nigeria as far as I’m concerned. He paved the way for us. His music is my bible. The first time I heard R. Kelly’s I believe I can fly on radio, I was blown away. R. Kelly has inspired me a lot. I mean his music, not his lifestyle. Donnie Mcclurkin, Israel Houghton, and The Winans family these guys also inspired me.

Nowadays, we see gospel musicians that leave gospel music the minute they realise they cannot make money from it. What do you think is the reason for this?
Its simple, these people were not called to preach the gospel in the first place.  What they don’t realise that not every Christian must sing gospel music. It’s like saying every Christian should be a pastor.  If you are not called to the ministry, then why must you sing gospel music? If you want to make money as a musician, don’t sing in church. I’m not saying ospel musicians don’t make money, but in our genre of music, you have to first focus on ministering, then the money follows. Out there, it is first money. So if there is anybody that used to sing in church but today are no longer doing such, I think they are very honest people beause they hac=ve realised that Omo, I no fit do this thing o. the church doesn’t even support gospel music. I mean, there is a lot of money in the church, when I say church, I mean the global church. God has blessed the church.  But the truth is, the places where music will get to, preaching can never get to. I’ve got fans who are not Christians who enjoy watching my videos but immediately my video stops and a preacher come on, they change the channel. So if the church does not learn to support gospel music, then we are really not ready to expand the kingdom of God.

What do you think about the state of the church in Nigeria?
I think that the church in Nigeria has done really well. Regardless of what some people might think. I also know the church is growing. I think the church has come of age. There is now a high level of excellence, a very high level of preaching the word of God. The Church is doing much more than the Government of Nigeria is doing. The church is doing what our educational system should be doing. A lot of people graduate nowadays without knowing what they want to do with their lives, because all they learn is how to cram stuff, write exams and get their papers. The church organises entrepreneurial seminars and discussions on how one can better his/her own life. So now, we see people venturing into politics, business etc. as a result of this.  I think the church is doing a lot, but I think the church needs to do a lot more. I also do not feel our impact is being felt in Nigeria. The only way people know there are churches in Nigeria is that we have billboards all over the place. But, has that reduced our level of corruption in Nigeria? Has that reduced our level of dishonesty in Nigeria? There is so much that the church needs to do.

Okay Solomon, share with us your thoughts on the Nigerian music industry
1st of all, kudos to all Nigerian artistes doing their thing. I think that our entertainment industry has the potentials to being the highest revenue generating industry in Nigeria. More than even oil.  A lot of people might disagree but you should know that the richest people in the world are not people who are into oil, they are people who use their brains to make the world a better place. The entertainment industry is one of the highest employers of labour in Nigeria. People may have qualms with our content; I think we can outgrow that. I just think we need to celebrate it some more. Artistes are doing a lot.

 Collaborations are the main stay of the music industry world-wide. Do you have anybody on this album you collaborated with?
You see, my style has always been different. Most of the people I do collaborations with are up and coming that you might not know but you will know them now because they are on my album.

Are there any artistes you’ll like to work with, both internationally and locally?  
Yes, I’ll definitely love to do a song with Israel Houghton. That’s one of my biggest dreams. I’ll also like to do a song with Micah Stampley. Those are the foreign guys I’ll like to work with. As for Nigeria, if I don’t do a song with my oga Panam Percy Paul before I die, I’ll not be fulfilled. I’ll also want to do something with MI. He’s my favourite rapper.


No comments: