Forgotten Super Eagles midfielder and 1996 Olympic gold medalist, Sani Kaita has said he came back to play in the Nigeria Premier League to help make it grow rather than for the monetary gains.
Kaita, who said he has put behind him his outrageous performance in the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa, explained that what is key to him is how best to improve his game and a possible return to the national team.
The Kano-born player said that he has always given out his all while representing the country at any level, as he will rather remember his exploits in the 1996 Olympic Games where the nation picked the gold medal in the football event than the outcry that followed his red card at the 2010 World Cup finals.
Kaita, who recently put pen to papers with newly promoted Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) side, Gabros International of Nnewi, on a season loan deal, believes the present crop of players in the country can still re-enact the feat of previous great squad of the Super Eagles if they are committed and determined to serve the nation.
He said his return to the local league from FC Saxan of Moldova after a similar stint last season with Enyimba FC of Aba is because of the passion and ambition of the proprietor of Gabros FC.
“It’s really interesting to play in the Nigerian league because that is where I started. It’s very difficult but with focus and determination I will succeed because I have the quality to do that.
“The proprietor, Ifeanyi Ubah, told me how he wants his club to be and I saw that he has passion and ambition to improve the game in all areas. That was what impressed me and I was motivated to join the club. I hope the team will be successful,” he said.
Kaita further said that he believes his new club will win the on-going league title if they maintain their current form.

No comments:
Post a Comment