Friday, 24 October 2014

EmmaOhMaGod: Breaking New Grounds With Comedy


Anyone who listens  to both Cool and Wazobia Fm will be familliar with the name Emmaohmagod.  Remember Davido’s Aye response by some ’females’? Yes that was Emma. A comedian, musician, actor and much more, Emmaohmagod, is also known for his viral spoof videos. Emmanuel Edunjobi is one comedian who is indeed breaking new grounds.



1.  You’ve been described as a multi-talented musician, comedian, on air personality, compere, singer and song writer. How do you manage to combine all these ’interesting’ sides of you?
I will say all these "sides of me" are the things that make me. You know what they say about when you start making money from what you will do for fun normally. So I just thank God because it’s really fulfilling.

2. How did it all begin for you?
Well i have always loved making people laugh since I was a kid and i have also been playing musical instruments since I was a very small boy. From the recorder to the mouth organ to the drum set to the piano to the guitar, and my mom really encouraged me.

3. At what point did you decide you wanted a career in the arts?
I'll say I started standup comedy properly from University and from there other things came like anchoring events, being a radio producer and OAP and also being a TV presenter and plenty other good things are still coming so watchout lol. You can see It has always been in me but i did not just know how to transform it to a career. But at different levels in my life God gives me epiphanies and makes ways for me. So it’s just been God leading and me following because none of what i’ve achieved or where I have been has been a result of my calculated effort, its just been God!

4. You are one comedian who has made effective use of social media. Regularly posting videos and songs online. Do you think in years to come, sites like Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and Instagram will play a part in making or breaking an entertainer?
Yes o. I really do believe social media will play a major part in the future of Entertainment and it definetly  will be a major determining factor in making or breaking an entertainer.  It brings your fans closer and however you handle them depicts the kind of followership you'll get from them. Also you can make a huge break financially from your social media. if you are well packaged for it. So yeah.."o important gan'.. lol.

5. Your own style of comedy is different. Seeing that you often fuse music with your comedy. Was this a ploy to make you stand out from other comedians or just your own brand of comedy?
Yeah it is an approach to enable me stand out from other comedians and also to repel plagiarism. I started more as the regular standup comedian cracking jokes and all. But it’s so painful when you realize most of the so called comedians thrive on using other people's contents and ideas, and some of them might even have a bigger platform and wider audience reach than the real owners of the ideas and contents. The one that touched me one time was when my girlfriend at the time told me that one of my jokes wasn’t mine because she heard it from another comedian in a bigger show.. omo the thing pain me gan o... because i know as i take rack my brain to come up with that particular joke (joke that the first warri woman was from the bible - the woman with the issue of blood ,,cos she touched Jesus and anointing miss from him body..lol... Anywhere you hear this Joke just know it was stolen from me!) Anyways with my new style of always infusing music one way or the other. I think stealing my contents will be harder, although not totally impossible sha. Then also i like to sing a lot (I won a lot of singing competitions including NYSC idols back in the Lagos NYSC camp 2011) and i can also produce my own music. So musicomedy is also an approach to encapsulate all the things i love to do - comedy, singing, producing, playing musical instruments.

6. What are your thoughts on the Nigerian entertainment industry (Music,comedy,Nollywood) as a whole?
I think things are really improving exponentially in the Nigerian entertainment Industry although the market is very saturated but the future is very bright!

7. How do you get the inspiration for your jokes and viral spoof videos?
They just come to me. I’m actually more of a spontaneous person than the "sit back and write scripts" person. For example, for most of my videos like the Aye response, Chris Brown in Ojuelegba amongst others, I just came up with the concepts for the shoot when we were on location although i had produced and sung the audio way before.
I understand you recently released  your first comedy album tagged “OhEmGee series 1 – Let’s Go to Church” tell us more about it
"Lets go to church" is the first of the audio comedy series I’m gonna be releasing. So it is actually #OhEmGeeSeries1 . Trust me it is very funny and the reviews i have gotten so far are very encouraging. It is available on most of the online stores like Itunes, Amazon and all. It is marketed by Iyke the Don Entertainment for the streets and all but people have been complaining they havent been seeing it around. Im hoping to work with better marketers subsequently cos this one is not being spread properly as i would have wanted it to be, But at least i thank God for the online stores sha, Its doing way better there.

8. Which comedians did you look up to growing up?
Alibaba, Julius Agwu, Basket mouth and Jackie chan( yes o i see him as a comedian..and i think thats where i started getting ideas for crazy videos).

9. Also, which comedians would you like to work with?
Along the line I discovered Chris Rock, Eddie Murphy and some comedians from comedy central..... But now my favourite comedian is Bovi! I respect the brethren a lot and he inspires me gan! Then of course Kevin Hart!

10. What are you currently working on and what are your plans for the future?
I’m working on some projects which I wouldn’t want to disclose for now but y'all should watchout. Concerning my future, I leave it in God's hands, He should keep leading me and I will keep following

11. How do you spend your free time and what are those simple pleasures you enjoy?
I spend my free time sleeping sometimes because i hardly have time to do that, Then i play musical instruments - guitar, piano,,and i just got an accordion..lol. Then i love watching Afmag Yoruba so far they are showing movies that have Odunlade Adekola or Sanyeri and one other funny guy like that..lol. The major simple pleasure i enjoy is my private time I love being indoors although i dont get to have much of that ’im not complaining sha..lol.

12. What is your ultimate goal as a comedian?
My ultimate goal is making EmmaOhMaGod a household name and OhEmGee Ltd a major company to reckon with in Entertainment Worldwide. So Help me God!

No comments:

Post a Comment