Wednesday, 12 November 2014

I Sought the Face of God before Accepting To Run - Jonathan


President Goodluck Jonathan, on Tuesday formally declared his intention before a mammoth crowd made up of pro- Jonathan support groups, PDP stakeholders, market women and Civil Society Organisations at the Eagle Square to contest the 2015 presidential elections.

According to him, he accepted to contest the election following the calls by many Nigerians for him to re-contest the presidency in 2015 and after seeking and hearing from God.


It will be recalled that the National Executive Committee of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) had earlier endorsed Jonathan as the party`s sole candidate for the 2015 presidential election which set in motion his adoption as the party`s sole presidential candidate for the election by the Peoples Democratic Party Governors Forum and other organs of the party.

“History has shown that the part of honour for any true leader is not to walk away from his people in moments of challenges.

“We must come together in adversity and overcome all threats to our development.

“After seeking the face of God, in quiet reflection with my family and after listening to the calls of our people nationwide to run, I have accepted to present myself to run’’, the President said.

He, however, said that despite the various achievements recorded by his administration, he admitted there was still much to be done to take the country to the next level of development.

He thanked Nigerians for their continued support and encouragement which he said had brought him this far.
“So many things had inspired me in the journey to this moment; I thank all Nigerians and the Market Women Association who encourage me by committing some funds to support me.

“In the same vein, I am touched by the National Association of Widows who also encouraged me with their widows might; this labour of love from ordinary Nigerians has increased my appreciation of your solidarity.
“It has also increased my trust in our joint destiny and all that we have achieved together this past three and half years’’, the President said.

No comments: