Thursday, 6 November 2014

Negotiation Is Still On Going With Boko Haram - NSA






Contrary to earlier reports, the federal government has said it has not yet reached an agreement with the dreaded Boko Haram sect on the release of the 200 schoolgirls in their captivity.

 According to the National Security Adviser, Colonel Sambo Dasuki, the negotiations are still ongoing and accused the media of misrepresenting the position of the government on the ceasefire agreement.

"The NSA was of the opinion that high level contact with the Republic of Chad was made and that some persons who acted on behalf of Boko Haram and who claimed to have authority also had discussions with them and there are some Nigerian officials with them," said  Dasuki in a briefing.

 "Of course, no agreement has been reached yet, it is just that the press probably misunderstood what was reported, but the discussions are ongoing.”

When reports of the purported ceasefire agreement between the government and Boko Haram surfaced, hopes were raised that the violence would soon be curbed and the kidnapped girls returned. However, the extremists were quick to deny an agreement and violence has continued.

“We must find tactical means of ending this insurgency so that Nigerians can sleep with their two eyes closed. We look forward to the day when the real Boko Haram people will actually come out and have a direct dialogue with Nigerians so that peace can return to the North-eastern region,” Col. Dasuki said.

The organization called Boko Haram, whose name means “Western education is forbidden,” says its goal is to overthrow the Nigerian government.

The group began its operations in 2009 and have claimed responsibility for numerous deadly gun and bomb attacks that have left at least 10,000 people dead across Nigeria. According to official data, some 500 young women and girls have been abducted by the insurgent group so far.

No comments: