Sunday 21 September 2014

ENTREPRENEUR OF THE WEEK: Jerry Akinluyi, Manager, Jeak's kennel and securities, Lagos


How did you get to where you are today?
I started in 2009 when I was in my second year in Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife at the age of 17. It is one of the fastest growing dog breeder in Nigeria and dog security outlets, distinct in selling pure breeds of different species of dogs and also training them. Our other services include, dog leasing, dog adoption, dog health expert in providing advice on dogs and nutrition.

What have you learnt over the years?
I have learnt to improve myself in the area of inter-personal relationship because I have met quit a number of big clients within and outside the country. I have learnt how to adequately manage resources and also learnt to be patient.

What were the challenges you faced?
In this part of the world, people don't appreciate pets and dogs generally. It is very great challenge for me to convince my prospective customers on kind of dogs to purchase especially the price of pure breeds because a lot of dogs here in Nigeria are mongreal (mixed) hence, they get it at a cheaper rate. Another great challenge is that of finance. Setting up my first kennel was challenging because I have to purchase different breeds from their direct sources and it cost a lot of money. Another challenge is how to meet targets of my clients looking at the available funds.

How did you overcome the challenges?
My parents were encouraging and supportive so it was easier for me to get along at the earlier stage. I applied for loan in some financial institutions because it was easier to pay back because the business was progressing.We are currently working to partner with Otunba Akin Alabi who owns Nairabet and he has interest in developing young entrepreneur like me.

What are your future projections for your business?
We are projecting that in the next three years we have a strong dog security outlet. We are training dogs that can detect bombs, search, rescue, control crowds, securities in banks and churches. And we are working on propagating the need for security dog in every Nigerian home. We hope to have outlets where politicians, religious leaders can rent guard dogs for their crowd and sniffing.It will be of great benefits to politicians, religious leaders and the government to partner with me on this great mission to reduce crime rate and terrorism in our country. I have spoken to Nigeria Police and personally visited Nigerian Army dog Units in Ipaja but without positive response which is quit challenging. Partnership with government, religious organizations, politicians (crowd control during campaigns or big events) private companies and individuals to partner with us in achieving this dream.

How do you intend achieving these projections?
With determination and hard work I will achieve it.

Any advice for younger entrepreneurs?
Young entrepreneurs should believe in their dreams and pursue despite challenges. Challenges are what make life interesting, overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.

Contact Akinluyi 09033309314

4 comments:

Gentle Giant said...

Good one Jerry...

Gentle Giant said...

Good one Jerry...

Unknown said...

Thanks

Anonymous said...

my boy nice one... God bless u bro. Irumole